t Half the World Away: Photoshoot: Behind the Scenes

Wednesday, August 1

Photoshoot: Behind the Scenes

Here's how the photo came to be...

I left the office at around 9:00pm, Maxi sent me a message and said that his "ETA" was 9:30 to 9:45. Great I thought. The office is just 15 minutes away and I left early to assure the guy that he won't have to worry about me being late. After all, Maxi is coming from Las Pinas. I don't know where that is but it sure sounds far to me. "Megamall nlng pare, txt nlng pag dating. Punta nko dun." Message sent.

ZZzzz... Ice Hockey is cool sport, literally. Man, if I ever became a hockey player all women will drool over me. They'll faint every time I score a goal and soon, I'll become MVP. Then eventually I'll become a matinee icon being interviewed by MTV and on the front page of Candy magazine. Yeah, see that goalie over there.. I'm gonna hurl pucks down his throat he'd wish he was playing badminton instead. There's no sports I can't conquer.... I'm the greates.... ZZzzz...

So that's me staring down at the skating rink for what seemed like an eternity. I can't believe it was happening to me. I was the king of lates but the now the tables were turned. After walking like a zombie through the vast Mega, I decided to stop over and wait in the cursed stands. It was all too familiar.

"Teej ortigas nko." Maxi replied. My eyes gleamed, nasa Ortigas na sya, Lord nasa Ortigas na sya! Salamat, salamat! I bought a Mcfloat and lit a cig outside the fast food where we decided to meet. "Teej and2 nko, St. Francis Jolibee. Wala na pala Mcdo d2." "Yes Maxi wala na Mcdo dyan. Nandito ako sa El Pueblo. Sabi mo Mcdo. Ang galing mo chong idol kita."

Ok. J Ortigas Blvd was the location, the streets being the subject. The night was perfect for capture for it just rained. There was a damp feeling to it. The streetlights lined up giving a somber glimmer, some building floors were lit telling there's life to it, cars were flying past by. I stood at the sidewalk with my fingers doing the photographer scale, "Maxi shoot it like this."

We had so many outtakes considering we only had one concept in mind --> I'll sit in the sidewalk and look at the cityscape around me. It's either that there's a taxi or there's too much of a crowd walking. So ok, photography isn't as simple as it looks. Good thing Maxi knows a lot about his stuff.

Nope, there's a taxi...

Nope, I look like a gay hobo with LBM

Wacky time...

"Maximus Grime"

Hmm.. this should do it..

Great, it was done. After being given puzzled looks from countless call center agents, I finally realized that the semi-wall I was leaning on was actually their yosi spot. Kaya pala madumi. "Maxi take the tripod and were off to another location." Exit, stage left.

Next spot was the overpass at the same street. As I had a top view of the crossing, a concept came to me. "Maxi stand there. I'll go down and you shoot."

Yeah something to that effect...

The last guy on earth.

Finally were done. It's about 12:30 and I'm really really tired. To be honest, I wasn't really satisfied with all the photos but they'll have to do. After all, its just me and my tomfoolery. Maxi and I decided to call it a wrap and shook hands before we parted. After getting a feeling of importance with the attention that comes with being photographed and all, I started the long, lonely walk home. Again, it was all too familiar.

The very morning of the next day, Maxi sent me the photos. I showed it to an officemate and she liked it, said it was surreal. Yeah, it turned out alright. There's only one problem left, what do I do with them.

Good thing Ronan, the most talented graphic artist the country has to offer, is available for some favors. I sent him the files, he opened photoshop and alapeanutbuttersandwich the layout was finished. It is done.

Half the World Away

+++

I'm not really sure what my issues are, but these are the kinds of images that fascinates me. Empty streets, dark pathways, lonely cityscapes, streetlights, rainy days and all relative. I like things bleak. I dwell in its calm. Astig.



Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those photos are amazing. I like bothering my photographer friends and making them take emo, contemplative shots of myself. :P

August 14, 2007 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Tj Cafuir said...

Thanx. Yep. Emo shots are great but then again, it has to be real. People "trying hard" to be emo looks palin silly to me..

August 14, 2007 at 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm in love with the pics...grabe, ang galing ni maxi, very detailed ang mga photos ska walang nasayang na space...namiss ko na tuloy ang photography.. anyways, tj di ka lang pala writer, model ka rin pala. :)

September 13, 2007 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Tj Cafuir said...

@Anne

Model? Hmm.. ehehe... Teka, who's Anne is this? I know a million Anne's.. Hehe..

September 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger psych0722 said...

nice shots.. so astig! im so captivated by those kind of scenes. they may look as if gloomy but i find them more of enthralling.
great shots + photoshop = awesome banner
your blog rocks! astig talaga!

September 13, 2007 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Tj Cafuir said...

@ p1s1y0c5h

they may look as if gloomy but i find them more of enthralling -> Right on!

September 13, 2007 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home