t Half the World Away: Do I Believe in Ghosts?

Tuesday, June 26

Do I Believe in Ghosts?

Let me tell you an eerie incident that happened last Sunday...

It was a dark night at the village. The rain had already stopped but heavy clouds still blanket the sky. No stars tonight, I thought. I'm clutching my girlfriend's hand as we walk the empty streets past the gloomy streetlights. We were going to our friend's house, well.. they're twins, in fact they're the AngTV twins if you'll remember. I plan to cap the night with shots of dim brandy and dimmer cola.

"Uno, Dos." I called out. "Oi Teej, Salee pasok pasok."

It's good to see your drinking buddies on a night like this. Although they weren't up for drinking, these two wont back out of an inuman, especially when their good friend Tj visits them.

"So were have you guys been to?"asked Dos. "We just shopped at the mall for a few clothes. I've been wearing rags to work lately." was my innocent reply. " Iba na talaga pag malakas kumita! Pa shopping shopping nalang."

Little did he know that I used my credit card and that I have to break my back just to pay those bills.

"So inom tayo?" True enough, the answer was an immediate "Yeah."

Now a little background on the house that we were in. It wasn't owned by the Ramirez family, they only rent it. Quite cheaply in fact. It was a two story house, pretty big on the vertical. There weren't much windows to get light in so when it is dark, it's very dark. I lived at the village for 11 or 12 years and I would be the first one to tell you that never an occupant on that very house lasted for very long. Something's just not right for them. I've seen tenants come and go leaving the place never coming back. However, the twins have lasted for quite some time. But it was only at that night where I knew the consequences of their stay. Something IS not right.. Actually it is a someone...

"Oi pare astig talaga si Michael Buble!" Dos connected his PSP on a computer speaker and put some sweet music on from our favorite crooner. "How's work killing you?" Uno asked me. "Hay nako, Tj always comes home late. He doesn't even have time for me anymore." Salee answered for me.

She's right, it's work that has a ball and chain around my neck. But I know she understands. Everything I do, I do it for the two of us, for our future. God knows it's she who I'm living for. Never I took a single breath without taking one for her.

Black Crowes are now playing. Not loud, but just right. Our soft laughter can be heard outside with nobody around to be aware of our merriment. The house around us is engulfed in darkness. Above us, chandelier-like bulbs illuminate the floor with a monotone yellow.

Safely tucked under the roof that shelter us from the cold, it was good times. Four friends sitting cross legged while visiting the memories of an exuberant past. That is until somebody decided to join in...

"Teej, may tumingin." Salee suddenly told me. She wasn't looking at me in the eye. It's as if she knows that what she saw is still staring at her, watching her every move. "Huh. Where?" "Dun sa may kitchen." A certain chill went up my spine and out of my skin. The house is haunted and I knew it.

"Ah wala yan, wag nyo pansinin. Kaibigan namin yan." Uno replied. He's been telling me about this ghost that was roaming around their house for years now. "Matagal na siya nagpapakita. Sa kwarto, sa kusina, pati dito sa sala. Sana'y na kami, wag nyo lang talaga pansinin.

Salee decided to change seats. I was now fronting the spot where she saw a head tilt, covering the body from sight. It was someone young, a head of a child.

"Ok, Ok let's drink.. I'm here to have a good time. Open another bottle please." It wasn't much of deal really. The twins are used to seeing that kind of terror, I was getting tipsy, my GF was getting tipsy as well. It was as if it never happened. On with the liquor.

We forgot about the "multo". I even went to the kitchen to get some food. The lights were on of course. Salee even went to the comfort room past the kitchen, but of course I was with her. We opened the lights but we turned it back off. On with the liquor.

Salee was now back again at the seat where she was before, completely fronting the kitchen hallway. As I was checking the playlist the unexpected happened again. "Nakita ko na naman sya!"

This time it was a man. "Alam nyo diba madilim dun sa kusina? May nakatayo na mas madilim pa, gumagalaw. Totoo na to. "I haven't seen it long enough to describe it in detail, but it was a man. At first I thought it was Dos, but I realized it was someone else." By then I knew we have to wrap it up. We were not alone in that house and apparently, they demand that we already leave. So we did.

It was still cold outside. Salee is now embraced in my arms terrified of what she'd seen. We walked the damp streets past the streetlight again towards home. But as we went farther and farther away from the damned place, the more I kept thinking of the man and the child. Were they related? Did they both die in that house? What could they possible want? They must have a story to tell.

We have heard stories like these ever since we have developed our imaginations. Are they real? I haven't seen one. But what happened last Sunday was an affirmation. It was my GF who saw it, right there when I'm around.

Maybe they do maybe they don't. You can never really tell until you've seen one...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrr. I knew I shouldnt have read it. PFT PFFT PFFFFFTT!!

June 26, 2007 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

n0w u're giving me the chills...

June 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

p.s.

just so u kn0w...
s0me 0f ur friends DOES read....after tiring our eyes with t00 much STARING...hahaha!

June 27, 2007 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Tj Cafuir said...

Ahaha. Right on Mel!

June 27, 2007 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home